Map of County Mayo Baronies in 1899.
From: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_baronies_of_Ireland#/media/File:IrelandBaronies1899Map.png
(December 15, 2024) Macalister reports that this stone is called both the Island Stone and the Bracklaghboy Stone. It is located in the neighboring townland of Island standing on the top of a low mound, apparently an artificial tumulus. As a result of illegitimate digging around its base it has sunk a little into the ground and now stands at a slope of about 75 degrees. The inscription is pocked and rubbed on two angles (up-top -down) in bold scores, but is injured by wear and chipping. The reading is, however, certain.
The stone is grit being 5' 3" x 1' 10" x 1' 1".
ᚉ ᚒ ᚅ ᚐ ᚂ ᚓ ᚌ ᚔ ᚒ ᚊ ᚒ ᚅ ᚐ ᚉ ᚐ ᚅ ᚑ ᚄ
Comment: This text is promoting the involvement of astrology magic with the life powers in order to counter the life/death powers of Kate/Hekate. Su is the dark moon god associated with astrology-magic used to redirect fate. The text is warning not to use emotion magic. (This stone was also numbered 93 like the stone above it in Macalister)
(December 15, 2024, updated August 22, 2025) Macalister reports that this stone was discovered by Constabulary Sergeant Lyons, formerly of Ballyhaunis. It was built into the wall of an old church. It is now in the National Museum of Ireland.
It is made from stratified sandstone 4' 0" × 1′ 8″ x 1' 0."
(December 15, 2024) Macalister reports that this stone was discovered by Constabulary Sergeant Lyons, formerly of Ballyhaunis. It lay as a "kneeling stone" on a dwarf wall surrounding a well dedicated to St. Mobhi. it now stands upright on a low altar-like structure north of the well. St. Mobhi died 544 CE. He was an early Irish Christian teacher and counted as one of the Twelve Apostles of Ireland.
It is made of Schist: 4' 11" × 1′ 5″ × 1' 1."
APu ATu Ta'u. ŠaMu ASu IRu Bu
(December 19, 2024) Macalister reports that this stone was first noticed by Sergeant Lyons in 1900. It had been badly injured some time before by boys, who lit a fire against the stone. The stone had fallen , and was re-erected, presumably as a cattle rubbing- post, in or about 1861. It measures 6' 5" x 1′ 7″ × 1′ 7.″
(December 15, 2024, updated August 22, 2025) Macalister reports that this stone was was discovered by Mr. Austin Cunney , National School Teacher, Attymass. The stone stands at the back of a farmhouse on the townland, and its great height makes it conspicuous. The inscription begins at about 3 ' from the bottom of the right corner angle, or perhaps a little more, but it has been intentionally battered away for a length of about 2' 9"-to the height, we may presume, to which the destroyer could conveniently reach.
This stone is made of grit, 9′ 3″ × 3′ 5″ × 0' 10"
Macalister says this about his adventure in reading this text,
"This reading is the result of two prolonged and minute examinations, in very different atmospheric conditions , and using a ladder to get to close quarters with the top of the stone."
(December 15, 2024, updated August 22, 2025) Macalister reports that this stone seems to have had an Ogham inscription on the left corner but that it is so badly worn and weathered that practically nothing can be made of it. Apparently a priest, Father McManus, re-erected the stone then lying flat on the scrub-covered sandhills where it still stands.
A limestone slab , 4′ 4″ × 2′ 0″ × 0′6″.
The meaning of the symbol on this stone is unknown but based on the text it has something to do with fate shifting.
(December 15, 2024, updated August 22, 2025) Macalister reports that this stone was found in a field on the side of the road opposite to Heathfield National School. The lower part of the surviving inscription is fissured and is so badly injured by cattle rubbing, that its reading is uncertain.
It is a slab of micaceous sandstone having a size of Its size is: 6′ 8″ × 6′ 6″ × o' 6".
(December 15, 2024, updated August 22, 2025) The inscription on this stone was discovered by a Mr. W. K. Dover, an English visitor , and was shortly afterwards brought to the notice of Ferguson , who was the first to make it public. It was then prostrate. Ferguson gives its full dimensions as 12' 0" x 2'6" x 2' o". Later, on Ferguson's suggestion, it was re-erected at the charges of the Royal Irish Academy.
MAQ CORRBRI MAQ AMMLLOŊITT